the seventh regiment armory, also known as the park avenue armory, was completed in 1880. within the gloomy opulence of its greeting rooms and drill room, there are now exhibition and performance spaces. herzog and de meuron have begun the planning for the restoration the armory, announcing their “immense task of revitalizing the space without compromising its original character, considering reconstruction, restoration, renovation, and simulation… they had worked closely with an army of artisans to delayer to reveal its original surfaces. The process entailed restoring the metal finishes that were fashionable when the Armory opened but had since tarnished; removing layers of varnish, shellac, and dirt to return darkened wood to its original honey oak color; and revealing the original stencils on the walls and ceiling.” http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-07/scene-last-night-bill-ackman-herzog-de-meuron-philip-glass.html

drill room

installation in the drill room

interior rendering of proposed restorations

Advertisements